A San Francisco Pilates mat workout at Studiomix is an amazing full-body workout that just about anyone will enjoy. Pilates is an extensive exercise system founded on the principles of control/precision, centering, stabilizing, breathing, alignment, fluidity and integration. At a fitness studio, San Francisco residents often enjoy taking Pilates mat class for the mind/body workout it provides, in addition to helping them develop leaner, longer muscles. Pilates exercises strengthen the body, while relieving stress and increasing relaxation. Pilates mat class also helps participants to expand their awareness of their body, and improve their balance and agility. On top of all of these advantages, a Pilates mat class helps people develop endurance and flexibility.
Performed using the body weight, learning how to do traditional mat Pilates in SF at Studiomix gives you a foundation for all other movements in Pilates. Pilates classes also teach and practice breathing from the core, which stabilizes the spine, in addition to providing many other benefits. Training on a Pilates mat at Studiomix gives you a workout that helps you to perfect a number of positions and moves. Providing a total body workout, Pilates SF mat workouts at Studiomix include many options for developing the abdominal muscles, as well as the hips, back and glutes.
Some examples of Pilates exercises that you can learn at Studiomix include:
- The Hundred – strengthens the abdominal muscles, and increases the blood flow to all the muscles of the body.
- Single Leg Circles and Stretches – engage your core and work your abs, including the obliques.
- Roll Down – works the midsection and abs.
- Abdominal Curls – basic abs moves that target the core.
- Open Leg Balance – works the abdominal muscles, and stretches the hamstrings.
- Spine Stretch – develops spinal articulation, hamstring flexibility, and abdominal strength.
- Pelvic Curl – a fundamental Pilates exercise that improves spinal articulation, abdominal and hamstring control, and the stability of the pelvic-lumbar area.
- The Saw – a back stretch, also works the hamstrings, inner thighs, and obliques.
- Swan Prep – stretches the back extensors and abdominal muscles.
In addition, San Francisco Pilates mat workouts at Studiomix also include numerous other exercises. In a Pilates mat class, exercises are sequenced so that each one will prepare you for the next. At Studiomix, instructors will help you understand and perform the exercises using the correct form. Pilates mat class will also provide you with a good foundation for Pilates exercises that utilize props and equipment.
Pilates mat classes may be classic or contemporary. In a classic mat class, students will spend time holding positions longer before moving to the next. Contemporary Pilates mat exercises emphasize an uninterrupted flow from one movement to the next, which is beneficial for building cardiovascular endurance.
Pilates has been in existence since the 1920s, when Joseph H. Pilates invented a means to overcome his own physical disabilities. He initially called his methods ‘Contrology,’ based on his belief that the mind controls the muscles. During World War I, Joseph Pilates used the series of exercises to help patients who were bedridden maintain the strength of their body. These exercises were continually developed, and have gained widespread popularity in more recent years.